What Are the Roles of TG Enzymes in Food Processing?
In food processing, the TG enzyme can catalyze the covalent cross-linking between proteins, so that the molecular weight of the protein becomes larger and a strong gel is formed, thereby changing the elasticity, water retention, cohesion and other characteristics of various protein products, improving the added value of products. TG enzyme exists widely in human body, plants and microorganisms. It is a protein with the function of catalyzing chemical reactions, and has the advantages of specific catalytic reactions, no by-products, and no damage to food nutrition.
1. TG enzyme increases the elasticity and crispness of meatballs and fish balls
In the production of meatballs, a large amount of starch and water are often added due to cost considerations. In order to ensure the elasticity and taste of meatballs, complex phosphates are usually added in excess of the standard. Long-term intake of complex phosphates will affect calcium absorption. The performance characteristics of using TG enzyme are:
(1) TG enzyme, there is no safety risk of excessive intake, green, safe and healthy.
(2) In the case of reducing the amount of meat added and increasing the amount of soybean protein isolate, starch and water, the gel strength and elasticity of meatballs can be significantly improved, and the yield can be increased by 5% to 10%.
2. TG enzyme makes bionic vegetarian food more elastic and brittle
Similar to Chiba tofu's bionic vegetarian food, the traditional production method is to directly add glue additives to the tissue protein, and then extrude it. The resulting product is not only less elastic, but also not resistant to cooking, and it tastes powdery. The taste is relatively strong; and the use of chemical additives, the tofu produced has poor toughness, no brittleness, and a rough taste. The performance characteristics of using TG enzyme are:
(1) Double the smoothness and crispness of products such as tofu and vegetarian food, significantly improve the toughness of the product, and increase the yield of the product by 5%-8%.
(2) Transglutaminase TG improves the gel strength of soybean protein isolate, improves the elasticity and hardness of soybean protein isolate in application, makes the product have good sensory indicators, and effectively reduces the production cost of the product.
3. TG enzyme thickens and increases stability of yogurt
Fermented yogurt often encounters defects such as easy breakage, easy to disperse in taste, oil floating, no mellow feeling, lack of satisfaction and other defects in the production. By adding glue additives, such as common hydroxypropyl distarch phosphate, carrageenan, fruit Gum and gelatin to achieve the stability of yogurt. The performance characteristics of using TG enzyme are:
(1) Instead of chemical stabilizers, it can increase the viscosity of the product by 2-4 times and increase the yield by 2%-5%.
(2) Improve the coagulation strength of yogurt, shake strongly without dispersing, facilitate transportation, reduce whey precipitation, and improve water holding performance.
(3) Improve product texture, taste, flavor, and increase product market value.
4. TG enzyme increases the elasticity and brittleness of sausages such as ham and roasted sausages
Sausages such as ham and roasted sausages are mostly used to increase soybean protein isolate, starch and water in the production to achieve the purpose of reducing costs, so that the sausages have low adhesion, are prone to fragmentation, poor slicing, and poor water holding capacity, etc. The disadvantage is that the gel strength of sausages such as ham and sausage can only be improved by adding compound phosphate, so as to achieve the purpose of elasticity and brittleness. It also faces the problem of excessive addition and long-term intake. The performance characteristics of using TG enzyme are:
(1) Significantly improve the elasticity and brittleness of ham sausage, the gel strength reaches 2000-2500G, and the cracking strength increases by 1-2 times.
(2) TG enzyme improves the texture of sausages and hams, significantly improves the slicing performance, reduces the loss of minced meat during the production of sausages and hams, and increases the yield.
(3) It can replace salts such as complex phosphate and make low-salt healthy food.